WWL30, Vista SP1 64bit, C2Q6700

Discussion in 'Weather Watcher - Suggestions' started by johngalt, Apr 8, 2008.

1. johngalt

johngalt Well-Known Member

Mike,

Just wanted to let you know that I got a new computer, running an Intel Core 2 Quad 6700 processor with 4 GB RAM, and WWL .30 runs beautifully on Vista SP1 64bit (thus far - just installed, set options, and then closed out and ran as regular user).

So far, no issues at all, and the updating takes a lot less time - which indicates to me that the update process is processor intensive.

Out of curiosity, what processor are you building WWL on?

2. msinger

msinger Administrator
    Staff Member

I normally develop on my 2.20 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core PC (HP Pavilion a1450n). I currently have 2 GB of RAM, but will expand it to 4 GB eventually. As you probably know, Vista loves the RAM :neutral:

3. johngalt

Oh, yeah, I know - my previous machine was a P4 3.2(E) GHz Prescott CPU based machine with 3 GB of PC3200 RAM - that is besically the only reason I was already able to run Vista -although it was most definitely slower than what I have now.

Any plans on making a 64bit version, (in psite of the fact that the 32 bit seems to work just fine)?

Oh, BTW - the machine I picked up is an HP M8430F....Not anywhere near the fastest or latest or greatest, but after my last machine this is a step light years into the future....

Also, is there any real CPU specific / arch specfic optimizations you could include to enhance WWL? (Of course, this assumes already that you are are willing to include the enhancements in the first place....)

4. msinger

msinger Administrator
    Staff Member

I have no plans to create special Weather Watcher releases.

For example?

5. johngalt

I was asking you - didn't have any specific in mind.

Oh well, no loss on the lack of 64 bit app yet - when (if?) widows goes 64bit I suppose you'll follow then.

6. msinger

msinger Administrator
    Staff Member

Well, the goal is to always write the most efficient code. That said, I'm not sure what more could be done.

7. johngalt