general explainations for non weather savvy folks

Discussion in 'Weather Watcher - Suggestions' started by rhoadesb, Oct 16, 2010.

1. rhoadesb

rhoadesb Member

A section in the help file, perhaps written by multiple volunteers under Mr. Singer's supervision explaining things like ... personal weather stations, what they are, how they work, degree of reliability, etc..

And other misc data like ...

What is the difference between a snow storm and a snow squall, etc..

I'm interested in these things, and yes, I could scout the internet and find answers. But the general "theme" of WWL SEEMS to be to try to encompass as much weather data as possible ... "under one roof" so to speak.

2. msinger

msinger Administrator
    Staff Member

Weather Watcher Live is able to display weather data from three sources: WeatherBug, Weather Underground, NWS. Each source decides how they are going to label weather conditions and weather events. We could collect that content and store it in a single place, but that would consume untold man hours and would take a lot of time to maintain. It would be best to visit the source directly to find those answers.

The weather terms that I see are usually pretty straightforward (e.g. "cloudy" v.s. "party cloudy"). I find that the severe alert titles aren't as straightforward (e.g. "Thunderstorm Warning" v.s. "Thunderstorm Watch"), but the descriptions do a good job of explaining. The glossary at WeatherBug.com does a good job of explaining those differences:

http://weather.weatherbug.com/weather-glossary/weather-glossary.html

3. rhoadesb

rhoadesb Member

Thanks for the link.